Skeeter Health Clinic
MHS Skeeter Health Clinic
Nadene Minyard, RN BSN
300 East Davis St.
Mesquite, TX 75149
WHAT I CAN DO:
- give students a place in the clinic to care for personal needs including: diabetes care, asthma care, breast pumping, wound care, medication administration and much more.
- determine if a child is safe to attend school, or recommend further evaluation, which includes: excusing students with communicable symptoms
- train teachers and students regarding health conditions
- write passes for diagnosed health conditions
- provide community resource information
- I am here if you need help with any medical, hygiene or disability related concern for your child or student
What I CAN'T DO:
- answer "what is it", only a Doctor, Nurse Practitioner, or Physician's Assistant should be entrusted with making a diagnosis
- provide a Treatment plan; while I can assist in self care, I can not tell a child how they should treat a condition
- give students over the counter medication; only medication distributed from parents, with permission forms, will be given to students at school
- give students changes of clothing, clothes can be acquired by calling home via the school clinic's phone
- tape or ice athletes, this should only be done by the athletic trainers for the safety of your athlete
The National Association of School Nurses defines school nursing as:
A specialized practice of professional nursing that advances the well-being, academic success, and life-long achievement of students. To that end, school nurses facilitate positive student responses to normal development; promote health and safety; intervene with actual and potential health problems; provide case management services; and, actively collaborate with others to build student and family capacity for adaptation, self-management, self-advocacy, and learning.